Monday, November 25, 2013

The weather outside is frightful, and it's still November!


More than a half-foot of snow fell across Pueblo, Colorado on November 23, 2013 in a winter storm that's part of a system that headed to North Texas and which will impact the East Coast on Thanksgiving!
With Thanksgiving 2013 just around the corner, I thought it might be fun to think a little about December and some weather trends of note.

One of the great things about being an ordinary and non-professional person is the inability of most everyone to hold me to account when I make my weather predictions! While I'm certainly no expert, I am colorful! Way back in August, I made some predictions about what I felt was to come for the winter season of 2013-14. And, I think I mentioned that we might get some 'weird weather' in the form of ice, snow and even record cold. (For their part, the weather service is calling for a rather dry, non snowy and warmer than normal December and January). How boring!

Well, here it is, late November and already some exposed surfaces have been 'exposed' to ice! Close locations, like Arkansas just to our south, have also experienced the bite of winter with much colder than normal temperatures and even a little ice storm thrown in for good measure! Texas, unfortunately, got clobbered with a storm that has left 8 dead as of this post. So, yes, things are getting a little weird out there and that weirdness is starting a bit early! Early and persistent cold conditions across much of the Midwest have helped to set the stage for some potentially exciting times later in the season! Stay tuned, as things may only go downhill from here...

No comments:

Post a Comment