Thursday, February 21, 2013

The ice storm that really wasn’t!


When I were to think about all the really bad possibilities this latest winter storm presented, I'm very thankful for all that it was not.

Promptly, at 6 AM this morning, I was wakened from a sound slumber by a crack of thunder just outside my window. Shortly afterwards the skies opened up and honest to goodness thunder ice was falling all about my house located near Forsyth Missouri. (Had this persisted more than a few minutes it would been a true disaster as very quickly every surface was covered with a sheen of ‘lumpy’ ice, or more technically, a form of sleet called graupel)! Thankfully, a dry slot appeared and gave the area a nice reprieve from about six to nine AM.

At 9 AM, I ventured outside to check on the street in front of my home and found it to still be ice covered. A radio station, KRZK, earlier informed me that most of the main roads were clear and that was a comforting thought. So, even with a strong wind coming out of the east, I felt that perhaps the worst of this storm was over and done…. and then I heard more thunder!

By 10 AM, the skies were once again becoming dark, or at least darker than they had been a short time before. The mercury which had been slowly climbing had also started to slide downwards a bit and a glance at the local radar was not very re-assuring. (Even the radar was slower than normal to refresh – a hint that a lot of people were accessing the same site).

At 9:56 AM a hard shower of sleet came through and then quickly tapered of to a light drizzle of ice. I reflected that it was actually good thing that the air outside was cold enough so that we were getting ice rather than freezing rain at that time!

This pattern of on again off again precipitation was to be repeated for the rest of the morning, depositing just enough sleet and freezing rain to keep the secondary roads in my area ice covered! Chatter from a police scanner located close by also informed me that the roads were pretty much free of civilian vehicles -  a sign that most everyone heeded the warnings that had been posted earlier.

So passes our first real winter storm of the season. Now, if it would just warm up enough on Thursday to melt all this stuff, I'd be a happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment