Saturday, February 11, 2012

Arctic Invasion – Feb 11 – Day 2



It’s been sometime since I remember feeling the cutting effect of super chilled air blowing across my cheeks as I filled my auto with gas. A feeling I would just as soon forget, thank you very much. It turned out that this Saturday, February the 11th was unfriendly in just that sort of way. By that, I mean it was hard to warm up while standing outside, as the high temperature never got much above 29°F!

Add to that a wind chill effect that made it feel like the teens and you'd get my point! Ka-Brrr! Needless to say, I kept my outdoor errands down to a bare minimum. Even a quick visit the local grocery was a chore. While crossing the parking lot, I looked up and noticed the sky, which had been partly cloudy earlier, was now a crystal clear blue. Well, everything looked pretty darn tranquil to be honest, just real cold! (Yet, I knew that in the back of my mind, trouble was brewing for Sunday night)!

That said, and before I got too worked up about any chances for wintry precipitation late in the weekend, I still had to make it through the bitterly cold that would be our fare for this evening. After all, I was in the middle of an ARCTIC INVASION! The weather service was calling for single digits overnight, and while I wasn’t sure it would actually get that cold, I wanted to be prepared! (You see, around these parts, the electricity has a tendency to go off during bad spats of weather)! My plan this season was to lock up and head for a fancy hotel in the event of any trouble. Preferably one with a bar!
-------------------------
By 6PM the mercury, which had been hovering at around 29F for much of the afternoon, began to sink along with the setting sun. Looking at the radar map on my computer screen, I saw it was supposed to be clear with a dome of high pressure situated right overhead. Add in the light winds, and all the ingredients were in place for whatever warmth there was to radiate on out into space! Wonderful! Maybe time to crank up the old thermostat! (Its also times like this that I pause to wonder if maybe I should have had that furnace checked when I had a chance to last fall… Naw, it’ll be fine….).

No comments:

Post a Comment