Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Arctic air is on the way!

Forsyth Mo. - The coldest air of the 2015-16 winter season will be due to arrive sometime on the weekend of January 9. According to the NWS;

"High temperatures Sunday will not reach the freezing mark with highs again Monday struggling to each freezing. Lows will fall well into the teens
Sunday and Monday nights with wind chill values in the single digits."
 
In both this blog and my Energy Blog, I hope to chronicle my efforts to get through this period of days using the least amount of heating energy that is practical. Stay tuned for updates....

January 9, 2016 Update
 
Forsyth MO – January the 9th, 2015 dawned cool and rainy. Overnight a half inch of rain had fallen near my home in southwest Missouri. It looked as though snow was already beginning to fall to my north. I checked the clock and the time read 10:00 AM and a sour expression crossed my face. It was hard enough for me to handle the cold of winter, but snow was even worst! Where I live, in southwest Missouri, it's hilly and any kind of slickness at all on the roads meant I would be stuck in place. A glance at the local radar was not comforting, (although I suspected that most of the returns were virga and thus not making it to the ground). By 10:45 AM, the temperature outdoors was at 35.4 degrees. The winds were then picking up out of the NW at 3-5 mph and the day only promised to get worst!
The winds were the story!

 I got out and about right around 3PM as the winds were really beginning to make themselves felt!





January 10, 2016 Update

Well, that was rude! I got up at 4AM to find that the temperature outdoors was a crisp 16.9F! The winds were still coming down the northwestern pike at 1 to 5 knots and my furnace was about to work itself to death trying to keep my very humble casa warm.
www.taneyservices.com

Thankfully, this arctic incursion was to be brief, lasting about 36 hours as the center of high pressure was progged to moved rather quickly eastward. Monday is forecast to provide a breather before another cold wave moves in on the Tuesday, January the 12th! I was hoping that this would not be the start of a trend!

No comments:

Post a Comment