Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February Weather Summary for 2012


What set this past February apart from those that came before was the boredom factor. This one was so boring...How boring was it? It was so boring, even the Weather Channel lost interest! Only in hindsight, with that month now firmly in my rear view mirror, can I even bear to talk about it.

Whenever the temperature outside hovers around the fifty degree mark, I have a tendency to develop a nervous tic in one eye. You see, the half century mark is just warm enough to encourage me to venture outdoors, while still being cold enough to make me regret the decision once I do. It foments internal anxiety and thus causes my eye to twitch to and fro. (A condition that makes it all but impossible to hold a conversation with another person as they begin to focus more on that twitching than to anything I might have to say). So, when I say that February was a real 'eye-twitcher', I'm not just fooling around!

The average high for the month was 52F with a low that was around 32F This made the mean temperature 41F versus the 30 year average of 38F. (More evidence of global warming or just another anomaly)? You make the call. Of greater concern, the rainfall was really lacking at only 1.5 inches versus an average of 3. I found this worrying because of the predictions that much of the Midwest may be entering a prolonged period of drought! (Perhaps March will bail us out in that respect).

One pleasant observation, as March arrived, was the daffodils in my yard that are getting ready to bloom! This large clump in my yard come up every year on about the first week in March and thus heralds in the first color of spring! Before too long the Bartlett pear trees will be in bloom as will the Forsythia. A welcome burst of activity and color after enduring the blah months that came before.

No comments:

Post a Comment