Monday, September 19, 2011

Nature deals the Midwest a break!


As the month of September begins to wind down, a series of frontal systems swept through and brought some much needed rain to a wide area around my home. It was quite nice this past weekend, waking to the sounds of thunder and the soft patter of rain outside. I recorded three and a third inches of total rainfall fro the two day period. That bring the month to close to normal (3.5 inches versus an average rainfall of 4).

It would appear that gone too is the heat of summer and to that I say good riddance. The seemingly endless parade of high ninety and one hundred degree days got old pretty fast! Now it looks as though the weather patterns will moderate down into the seventies and low eighties for day time highs. A pattern that should carry us through the balance of the month.

In my younger days, I was definitely a summer kind of guy. No day was too hot for me! Now, as I aqe, I'm tending to like the fall the best. Pleasant days followed by cool nights are part of a pattern I could get used to fast! Also, the pollen counts now begin to wind down and I'm thankful for that. Allergies, which were never a problem when I was young, have added to what is now the misery of summer. Still, I would guess that each season holds some good things in store for everyone. I even know a couple who think that winter is cool (pun intended).

So, now with another month almost in the record book, it will be interesting to see how well the predictions of a cold winter turn out. But, first we will get to enjoy the next couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment