Thursday, December 15, 2011

Someone may get hit with winter right before it’s actually winter!


Does that make sense? Right now not even the big weather computers have a clue on what might transpire on or about December the 20th. That’s where good guessers (not geezers) like me come into play. So here I go.

This composite radar image for the northern hemisphere looks interesting to me. Two features in particular caught my gaze. One, the lower jet of the coast of California looks to be rather healthy. It can often serve as a transport for moisture across the lower forty. Second is the low pressure center currently just off the southern shores of Alaska. I wonder if it will be a player for the early next week time frame (five days from now)?

Now, according to my informed sources (a woolly worm), the thinking is for the development of a cutoff low somewhere off the southern California coast that may persist there for a time before it gets kicked out to travel across the southern states, bringing moisture with it as it does. The timing, as usual, will be everything, but I clearly think there’s a chance that this wet puppy will meet up with a large cold air trough barreling down from the northwest. The end result could be wintry precipitation for some lucky state or states.

1 comment: