Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mid November Weather Summary for 2011 in Forsyth Missouri


Eight degrees would be a good place to start when describing the weather for the first half of this month here in Forsyth Missouri. That’s eight degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the normal of 45°F (source: West Plains, Mo. average). What’s somewhat interesting is that while the highs where not far out of the range, the nighttime temperatures were markedly warmer (only three days oiut of the 15 below the average low mark). Food for thought concerning global warming.

November is also starting out strong in terms of precipitation with3.69 inches recorded already against a monthly average of 4.92 inches giving us just 1.23 inches to go.

The turning of the leaves was one of the best in my memory, but by the fifteenth, they have all pretty much been stripped from the trees. Strong gusty winds over the last few days helped that process out a lot!

While I’m as far from being a weather scientist as you can get, I do pay attention when other experts talk and try and be as objective as I can from observations I make directly. My gut feeling is that, yes it has been warmer than normal. I’ve also seen this expressed in plants in my garden that should have been history by now, but which are still growing!

Having said that, I did notice that the latest Arctic Oscillation graph looks to be more and more negative. Does that portend nastier than normal things to come? I  don’t know and neither does anyone else, although some would say that the odds are being stacked more and more in that direction. Time will tell on that observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment